Fluid Components International
Many flow meter technologies, especially centre-point types, require several diametres of straight pipe run to provide highly repeatable symmetrical, swirl-free flow profile that most flow meter technologies require for accurate and repeatable measurement. Unfortunately, most process industry plants are riddled with elbows, valves, tees and other real estate limitations, which make it difficult to achieve the required pipe straight-run configuration necessary for accurate flow measurement. Against this scenario, Fluid Components International has announced introducing Vortab Insertion Panel (VIP) – a lightweight flat panel flow conditioner. Calling it a breakthrough, FCI claims that the new technology maximises air/gas flow meter measurement performance accuracy with a simple-to-install panel design that significantly reduces flow meter straight-run requirements. Additionally, the manufacturer says that Vortab tab-type flow conditioning technology greatly reduces line pressure drop compared to alternative technologies, such as tube bundles, screens and perforated plates, thus minimising plant energy consumption and costs.
According to FCI, a new video is available featuring the technology, which demonstrates how the VIP flow conditioner combines the proven performance of Vortab tab-type flow conditioning technology with the low cost and ease-of-installation of an insertion panel type flow conditioner solution.
The manufacturer lists the following product features and advantages:
- The Model VIP Insertion Panel Flow Conditioner significantly reduces pipe straight-run requirements.
- Its advanced tab-type plate design neutralises distorted flow profiles caused by elbows, valves, blowers, compressors, etc, that commonly occur in piping and duct runs.
- A VIP conditioner installed three pipe diametres downstream from the flow disturbance eliminates flow disturbance, resulting in a swirl-free repeatable flow profile that ensures accurate measurement by the flow meter.
- The thin, lightweight panel design is easily installed between flanges or can be welded in place.
- It is particularly effective with wide turndown and/or low flow sensitive flow meter technologies, such as thermal dispersion, which measure transitional flows.
- It provides a highly repeatable flow profile during laminar, transitional and turbulent flow conditions.
- It has been extensively tested in Vortab’s NIST traceable flow stands under actual installation conditions with flow disturbers.
- The Model VIP Flow Conditioner is easy to order and specify. The standard Model VIP Flow Conditioner is manufactured from 316L stainless steel in sizes for pipes from 2 to 40 inch diameteres (50 to 999.9 mm).
- Other construction materials and larger line sizes are available upon request.
- It is available in both ANSI and DIN flange-mount or weld-in-place configurations.
- A typical VIP conditioner weighs less than 20 ounces (560 grammes) per diametre, making it possible to be easily transported and installed on site without using special handling equipment
Details are available at: http://www.fluidcomponents.com/Industrial/News/Features-of-the-Vortab-Insertion-Panel-VIP-Flow-Conditioner.asp.